
Another project 2 years in the making. I fixed a crack in a friend's frame a year or two ago and he gave me a couple headsets and this frame (also in need of repair).
I don't know what to make of this bike. Its lugged steel, the seat stays meet the seat tube a few inches beneath the seat lug. Its unclear whether or not the person who built this bike knew what they were doing. By the time it ended up in my hands, the seat bridge had been replaced (or it had never existed) with some oval tubing that had been brazed in place by some HD style pre-fluxed brazing rod. The seat bridge was totally rotted out and in removing it, I must have ground out, without exaggeration, at least an eighth inch if not a quarter inch of brazing material.
My brazing needs work, but its definitely light years ahead of what had been there. Unfortunately, I didn't take pictures of the old bridge before grinding it out. The former owner of the bike had been using electrical tape as a 'fix.'
I'll be finishing this over the next week or year. I need to sandblast the whole thing and give it a nice rattle coat of gloss black.
If you have any pointers on my brazing, please let me know. I think I may have gone a little nutty with the flux and also been working too hot.
More pics here.

No comments:
Post a Comment