For this project, my goal was to make a "folding" bicycle that would fit inside a big that was within the constraints of the major airlines sizing for luggage. Typical bicycle cases exceed the maximum outer dimensions causing an additional charge for checking the item. I used some inexpensive couplers intended to be used in go-kart roll cages to allow installation of go-kart components in tight spaces. I cut an old steel frame I had on the top tube and down tube and welded in the couplers. The risks here were not knowing how thin the tubing would be, not having a jig to hold the frame while welding in the couplers and trying to get a nice bead on a very thin walled tubing, approx .027", to a thick solid piece of chromoly about 1" in diameter.
July 16, 2015
"Folding" Bicycle, Circa January 2012
For this project, my goal was to make a "folding" bicycle that would fit inside a big that was within the constraints of the major airlines sizing for luggage. Typical bicycle cases exceed the maximum outer dimensions causing an additional charge for checking the item. I used some inexpensive couplers intended to be used in go-kart roll cages to allow installation of go-kart components in tight spaces. I cut an old steel frame I had on the top tube and down tube and welded in the couplers. The risks here were not knowing how thin the tubing would be, not having a jig to hold the frame while welding in the couplers and trying to get a nice bead on a very thin walled tubing, approx .027", to a thick solid piece of chromoly about 1" in diameter.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment